Current Topics in the Physics and Technology of 2D Materials for M.Sc. Students
PH1505 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of student seminars for condensed matter physics
- Catalogue of student seminars for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||60 h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1505 is Jonathan Finley.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This seminar addresses current topics in the rapidly expanding field of experimental physics of 2D materials.
Topics of this seminar include:
- Fabrication and/or growth of 2D materials by methods such as mechanical cleaving & stacking, chemical vapour deposition, atomic layer epitaxy and molecular beam epitaxy.
- Modification and nano structuring of 2D samples by lithorgraphy and/or chemical functionalization
- Novel device concepts based on cleverly stacked 2D materials such as novel opto-electronic devices or transistor concepts.
- Quantum phases in 2D materials such as topological insulators, superconductivity or 2D magnetism.
- Characterization of 2D materials and 2D material stacks via electrical or optical means (excitons physics, electronic transport, absorption and reflection spectroscopy, luminescence, defect spectroscopy etc.).
The objective of this seminar is to introduce advanced Masters students to the exciting and rapidly expanding field of 2D materials. This field is progressing at a rapid pace and therefore a careful overview of the current trends in the field will be covered. Another goal of this seminar is to help advanced physics students to prepare an effective presentation of gathered literature information for a knowledgeable scientific audience.
Participants should have good fundamental knowledge of solid state physics, quantum mechanics and/or knowledge of optical properties of solids.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|HS||2||Current Topics in the Physics and Technology of 2D Materials||
Assistants: Stier, A.
|RE||2||Revision Course to Current Topics in the Physics and Technology of 2D Materials||
Responsible/Coordination: Finley, J.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Weekly seminar with a slide presentation of one/two individuals covering a certain topic based on reading material suggested by the Seminarleiter. Active discussion of the topic, guided by the Seminarleiter, with in-depth information.