Journal Club Optomechanics and Quantum Optics for M.Sc. Students
PH1483 is a semester module in language at Master’s level which is offered irregularly.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of student seminars for condensed matter physics
- Catalogue of student seminars for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||15 h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1483 is Menno Poot.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
In this seminar we will be discussing recent literature in the fields of optomechanics and quantum optics. The students will prepare a talk on current topics in the field, followed by an active discussion. The seminar will be held in English.
After successful participation in the module the student can:
- perform a literature search on a topic
- explain the main points of a scientific paper
- judge the quality of its claims
- compare different papers on the same topic
- combine the contents of scientific papers into a coherent presentation on the subject
- actively participate in scientific discussions
A basic knowledge of quantum mechanics will be useful.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|PS||1||Journal Club Optomechanics and Quantum Optics||Poot, M.||
|RE||2||Revision Course to Journal Club Optomechanics and Quantum Optics||
Responsible/Coordination: Poot, M.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Recent research papers in high-impact journals (e.g. Science, Nature, Phys. Rev. Lett., Nano Letters, Optica)