Master Pieces of Quantum Field Theory
PH1441 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of student seminars for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1441 is Martin Beneke.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Seminar talks by students on topics of quantum field theory. The selection of topics is guided by classic master pieces of quantum field theory, which are usually not covered in the quantum field theory course. The seminar is intended for master students with knowledge of quantum field thoery at the level of the master course in the winter term.
Mi, 2-3.30pm, 3343 (Handbibliothek), preparatory discussion of the presentation by appointment.
The topics will be described briefly and distributed on the first regular seminar date on April 26, 2017.
1. Quantum field theory on curved space-times (Parker, Phys. Rev. 183 (1969) 1057)
2.The Unruh Effect (Unruh, Phys. Rev. D14 (1976) 870)
3. Effective Field Theory and the Euler-Heisenberg Lagrangian (Heisenberg and Euler, Z. Phys. 98 (1936) 714)
4. Lamb Shift and non-relativistic QED (Bethe, Phys. Rev. 72 (1947) 339)
5. Large-N two-dimensional-QCD (`t Hooft, Nucl. Phys. B72 (1974) 461 and Nucl. Phys. B75 (1974) 461)
6. The Anti-De-Sitter/Conformal Field Theory Correspondence (Witten, Adv.Theor.Math.Phys. 2 (1998) 253, hep-th/9802150)
7. The Spin-Statistics Theorem (Pauli, Phys. Rev. 58 (1940) 716)
8. Supersymmetry and the Wess-Zumino Model (Wess and Zumino, Phys.Lett. 49B (1974) 52)
9. Grand Unification (Georgi and Glashow, Phys.Rev.Lett. 32 (1974) 438)
10. Renormalization via flow equations (Polchinski, Nucl.Phys. B231 (1984) 269)
11. Divergence of perturbation expansions in renormalizable field theories (`t Hooft, in: "The Whys of Subnuclear Physics", Erice Proceedings (1977), Lautrup, Phys.Lett. 69B (1977) 109, Gross and Neveu, Phys.Rev. D10 (1974) 3235)
12. Warped Extra Dimensions and the Hierarchy Problem (Randall and Sundrum, Phys.Rev.Lett. 83 (1999) 3370, hep-th/9905221 and Phys.Rev.Lett. 83 (1999) 4690, hep-th/9906064)
After successful participation in the module the student can use the basic methods of literature retrieval, condense their knowlegde from scientific papers into a presentation and obtain presentation skills.
They have learned about recent topics in the field of research.
Quantum Field Theory
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|HS||2||Master Pieces of Quantum Field Theory||Beneke, M. Garbrecht, B. Weiler, A.||
Wed, 14:00–16:00, PH 3343
Learning and Teaching Methods
Preparation and presentation of a scientific topic, leading a scientific discussion, reading an understanding publications in scientific journals
Original research papers and secondary literature