Superconducting Quantum Circuits
PH1322 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of student seminars for condensed matter physics
- Catalogue of student seminars for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||30 h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1322 is Rudolf Gross.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Within the seminar "superconducting Quantum Circuits", students present state-of-the-art developments in modern quantum technology with superconducting quantum circuits. In this field, funamental research in academia has meanwhile triggered highly dynamical activities from established latge corporations (Google, IBM, Intel etc.) and ambitious startups (Rigetti, IQM, HQS etc.). In particular, superconducting quantum circuits belong to the few prime candidates for a scalable quantum computer.
The content of the seminar is focussed on the following topics:
- Foundations and applications of superconducting quantum circuits in quantum computing, quantum simulation, quantum communication, quantum sensing, ans quantum metrology.
- Superconducting quantum technology: Resonators, waveguides, quantum bits, couplers, quantum-limited amplifiers, quantum processors, quantum error correction etc.
- State-of-the-art fabaication ans measurement tachniques for superconducting quantum circuits.
- Investigation of the fundamental light-matter interaction "on a chip" using superconducting quantum circuits.
- Quantum information theoretical concepts: Entanglement, quantum gates, quantum algorithms, quantum memories, quantum measurements etc.
- The coupling of nanomechanical systems and spin ensembles to superconducting circuits.
- Challenges: longer quantum coherence, higher gate fidelities, scalability to a large number of qubits etc.
- Latest developments on the strive towards quantum advantages over conventional technology
- Propagating quantum microwaves emitted by superconducting circuits: quantum ressources, quantum microwave communication, quantum radar
You will be supported in the preparation of your talks from the research groups on superconducting quantum circuits, propagating quantum microwaves, and nanomechanics at the Walther-Meißner-Institut.
After the successful completion of the module the students are able
- To prepare presentation slides on a scientific topic and to clearly present a topical research field within a scientific talk.
- To discuss on a state-of-the-art research field in a scientific way.
- To analyze and assess the latest development in quantum scinece and technology with superconducting circuits.
- To understand and explain the foundations of superconducting quantum systems and technology.
- To understand the foundations and the state of the art in quantum computing, quantum simulation, quantum communication, quantum sensing, and quantum metrology with supercondcuting circuits
- To understand the foundations and the state of the art in nanomechnical systems and spin ensembles
Condensed matter physics, fundamental quantum mechanics
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|PS||2||Superconducting Quantum Circuits||
singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
Within the seminar the students exercise the preparation and presentation of a scientific talk and learn the foundations of presentation techniques (beamer presentation, blackbord work). The preparation of the talk and literature search is guided by an advisor.
Presentation materials, PowerPoint, black board work, complementary literature.
Specialized literature to the individual topics of the seminar talks will be provided.
Description of exams and course work
In the course of the seminar each student individually prepares a talk of about 60 minutes on a topic of current research. Based on this talk the learning outcome is tested.
Aspects of evaluation are especially:
- Illustrative and clear presentation of a topical research field within a scientific talk
- Answering questions on the scientific content of the talk
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Seminar Talk in Superconducting Quantum Circuits|
|Mon, 2022-02-07||Dummy-Termin, Leistung wird im Rahmen der Veranstaltung erbracht. // Dummy date. Course work during the semester.||till 2022-02-06|