Superconducting Quantum Circuits
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH1322 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of student seminars for condensed matter physics
- Catalogue of student seminars for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||30 h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1322 is Rudolf Gross.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Within the seminar students give talks on current topics related to superconducting quantum circuits, quantum computing and quantum communication. The students obtain detailed advise in preparing their presentations.
The content of the seminar is focussed on the following topics:
- physics and technology of superconducting quantum circuits and their application in realizing artificial solid-state atoms on a chip.
- superconducting quantum technology: qubits, resonators, waveguides, quantum microwaves, etc.
- realization of "quantum optics on a chip" experiments by superconducting quantum circuits.
- fundamental study of light-matter coupling by solid-state quantum circuits.
- exploration of the application potential of superconducting quantum circuits in quantum information systems and quantum simulation.
After the successful completion of the module the students are able
- to prepare presentation slides on a scientific topic and to clearly present a topical research field within a scientific talk
- to analyze and assess of topical research field in condensed matter physics.
- to express and understand the foundations of superconducting quantum systems and technology.
- to understanding the foundations of solid-state quantum information processing, superconducting quantum bits, circuit quantum electrodynamics, and superconducting nanostructures.
- to lead a scientific discussion on a topical research field.
Condensed Matter Physics, Quantum Mechanics
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|PS||2||Superconducting Quantum Circuits||
Responsible/Coordination: Gross, R.
Assistants: Fedorov, K.Marx, A.
Tue, 14:30–16:00, WMI 142
|RE||2||Revision Course to Superconducting Quantum Circuits||
Responsible/Coordination: Gross, R.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Within the seminar the students exercise the preparation and presentation of a scientific talk and learn the foundations of presentation techniques (beamer presentation, blackbord work). The preparation of the talk and literature search is guided by an advisor.
Presentation materials, PowerPoint, black board work, complementary literature.
Specialized literature to the individual topics of the seminar talks will be provided.
Description of exams and course work
In the course of the seminar each student individually prepares a talk of about 60 minutes on a topic of current research. Based on this talk the learning outcome is tested.
Aspects of evaluation are especially:
- Illustrative and clear presentation of a topical research field within a scientific talk
- Answering questions on the scientific content of the talk
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Seminar Talk in Superconducting Quantum Circuits|
|Mon, 2020-02-03||Dummy-Termin, Leistung wird im Rahmen der Veranstaltung erbracht. // Dummy date. Course work during the semester.||till 2020-02-02|