Advances in Solid State Physics
Module version of SS 2017 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2017||SS 2011|
PH1302 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of student seminars for condensed matter physics
- Catalogue of student seminars for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||30 h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1302 is Rudolf Gross.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Within the seminar students give talks on current topics in condensed matter physics. The students obtain detailed advise in preparing their presentations.
The content of the seminar is focussed on the following topics:
- Providing insight into the topical developments in condensed matter phasics.
- Discussion of promising applications of those developments.
- Introduction into topical field of modern solid-state physics.
The seminar puts particular focus on the topics spin electronics, solid-state quantum information processing, the physics of solid-state nanostructures, and high temperature superconductivity (including the recently discovered FeAs superconductors). These topics are in the focus of several collaborative research programs in the Munich area (e.g. Excellence Cluster "Nanosystems Initiative Munich", Graduate Schools ExQM and IMPRS-QST, DFG Priority Program on Skyrmionics).
After successful completion of the module the students are able
- to prepare presentation slides on a scientific topic and to clearly present a topical research field within a scientific talk
- to analyze and assess of topical research field in condensed matter physics.
- to express and understand the foundations of topical research fields such as spin electronics, solid-state quantum information processing, solid-state nanostructures, high temperature superconductivity, and phase-coherent transport phenomena in low-dimensional electron systems.
- to lead a scientific discussion on a topical research field.
Solid State Physics, Quantum Mechanics
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|SE||2||Seminar: Advances in Solid State Physics||
singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
Within the seminar the students exercise the preparation and presentation of a scientific talk and learn the foundations of presentation techniques (beamer presentation, blackbord work). The preparation of the talk and literature search is guided by an advisor.
Presentation materials, PowerPoint, black board work, complementary literature.
Specialized literature to the individual topics of the seminar talks will be provided.
Description of exams and course work
In the course of the seminar each student individually prepares a talk of about 60 minutes on a topic of current research. Based on this talk the learning outcome is tested.
Aspects of evaluation are especially:
- Illustrative and clear presentation of a topical research field within a scientific talk
- Answering questions on the scientific content of the talk
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Seminar talk in Advances in Solid State Physics for M.Sc. Students|
|Mon, 2021-07-12||Dummy date. Course work during the semester.Dummy-Termin, Leistung wird im Rahmen der Veranstaltung erbracht.||till 2021-07-11|