Master's Thesis (BEMP)
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH1085 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|900 h||h||30 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1085 is Julia Herzen.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
In the Master's thesis, the students apply the knowledge acquired during their studies and carry out the project planned in module PH1075. In the written elaboration, the methods chosen for the project and the results obtained are described and discussed in the context of the subject area based on the current state of research.
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- to independently work on a question from the field of medical physics within a given period according to scientific methods under guidance and to summarize it in a scientific paper,
- apply learned theoretical and/or experimental background knowledge to the given problem in order to obtain results on the problem,
- analyse their own scientific results and classify them with regard to their significance in the subject area.
Admission requirements for the module are the passed modules PH1065 and PH1075.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Learning and Teaching Methods
The students carry out a scientific project independently, i.e. they carry out scientific experiments or theoretical calculations, evaluate the results independently, carry out literature research and summarise this in a written paper at the end. They receive the necessary guidance through regular discussions with the supervisor and members of the working group.
Scientific measurement setups, use of own recordings, topic- and discipline-specific media, computers.
Current scientific publications on the specific topic, depending on the research area.
Description of exams and course work
Within a period of 6 months, a scientific project will be performed and presented in a scientific paper. Two high school teachers evaluate the Thesis. Formal and content evaluation points are, among others,
- the structure of the Thesis
- Thematic introduction and presentation of the state-of-the-art
- the correct representation of the theoretical basis
- the description of students own approach
- the description of the scientific results of the work
- the presentation of own results in relation to preparatory work
- the quality of the scientific discussion of the results
- the selection and the quality of the figures
- the linguistic quality of the work
- the selection and completeness of the references
- the contribution of own scientific ideas
- independence in performance of the work
A repetition of the Master´s thesis is possible according to the relevant regulations of the FPSO.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.