Theoretical Particle Physics
Module version of WS 2013/4
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2016||WS 2013/4||WS 2010/1|
PH1005 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered irregular.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Theory courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Specialization Modules in Elite-Master Program Theoretical and Mathematical Physics (TMP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||100 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1005 in the version of WS 2013/4 was Nora Brambilla.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Construction, structure and symmetries of the Standard Model of Particle Physics
- Electroweak symmetry breaking and Higgs physics
- Quantumchromodynamics and elementary strong interaction processes
- Flavour physics and flavor mixing
- Elements of neutrino physics
- Overview of physics beyond the Standard Model
After taking part in this course the student has acquired an overview of the most important aspects of the standard model of theoretical particle physics and its problems, and acquired the tools to start a master work in theoretical particle physics with emphasis on phenomenology.
Relativity, Particles and Fields and Quantum Field Theory or equivalent.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||4||Theoretical Particle Physics||Brambilla, N.||
Tue, 12:00–14:00, virtuell
Thu, 08:30–10:00, virtuell
|UE||2||Tutorial to Theoretical Particle Physics||
Vander Griend, P.
Responsible/Coordination: Brambilla, N.
|dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
The course is accompanied by homework problems.
Blackboard, possibly supplemented with slides.
- B. Martin and G. Shaw, Particle Physics, Wiley, 2008.
- D. Griffith, Introduction to Elementary Particle, Wiley-VCH 2008.
- F. Halzen and A. Martin, Quarks and Leptons: An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics, 1984, John Wiley and Sons
- O. Nachtmann, Elementary Particle Physics, Springer-Verlag 1990.
- M. Peskin and D. Schroeder, An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory, Addison Wesley, 1995.
- C. Burgess and G. Moore, The Standard Model: A Primer, Cambridge University Press 2007
- J. F. Donoghue, E. Golowich, and B. R. Holstein, Dynamics of the standard model, vol. 2, Camb. Monogr. Part. Phys. Nucl. Phys. Cosmol., 1992.
- T. Cheng, L. Li, Gauge Theory of Elementary Particle Physics, Oxford University Press, 1985.
- R. K. Ellis, W. J. Stirling, B.R. Webber, QCD and Collider Physics, Camb. Monogr. Part. Phys. Nucl. Phys. Cosmol., 1996
Description of exams and course work
In a written exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
There will be a bonus (one intermediate stepping of "0,3" to the better grade) on passed module exams (4,3 is not upgraded to 4,0) if the student reaches at least 50% of the points in the exercise sheets.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Theoretical Particle Physics|
|Mon, 2021-07-26, 14:15 till 16:15||PH: 2501
||Beachten Sie die Informationen zur Prüfungsteilnahme während der COVID-19-Pandemie unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/. // See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information on exams during the COVID-19 pandemic.||till 2021-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2021-07-19)|
|Fri, 2021-10-08, 11:30 till 13:30||PH: 2502
||Beachten Sie die Informationen zur Prüfungsteilnahme während der COVID-19-Pandemie unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/. // See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information on exams during the COVID-19 pandemic.||till 2021-09-27 (cancelation of registration till 2021-10-01)|