Advanced Theoretical Physics
Module PH1004 [ThPh AEP]
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH1004 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered irregular.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of required electives in theory for the Master programme Physics (Applied and Engineering Physics)
- Catalogue of required electives in theory for the Master programme Physics (Condensed Matter Physics)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||90 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1004 is Martin Zacharias.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This lecture aims at providing an overview of concepts in Theoretical Physics that are highly relevant for modern technology. The lecture will elucidate the physics concepts forming the underpinnings of many up-to date problems in mechanical engineering, dynamical systems, fluid dynamics, deformable media and thermodynamics. The sections presented are
Classical Dynamics: Concepts in Nonlinear Dynamics (from Poincare maps to Fractals)
Classical Dynamics: Hydrodynamics, elasticity and plasticity, linear elasticity theory
Thermodynamics: Gas power and Vapor power engines and their energy efficiency, statistical mechanics of interacting particles
Successful participation enables the student to understand
the principles of nonlinear dynamics and its relevance in mechanical and electrical engineering and in celestial mechanics
- methods and tools to analyse dynamical systems, stability and different routes to chaos
the laws and conditions governing laminar and turbulent flow in air and fluids,
the behavior of materials under stress
the functioning and efficiency of realistic heat engines
- thermodynamics and transport properties of dense gases and simple liquids
Keine Vorkenntnisse nötig, die über die Zulassungsvoraussetzungen zum Masterstudium hinausgehen.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||6||Advanced theoretical physics||
Mitwirkende: La Rosa, G.Reif, M.Schindler, C.
sowie Termine in Gruppen
Learning and Teaching Methods
- Vortrag, Beamerpräsentation, Tafelarbeit,
- Übungen in Einzel- und Gruppenarbeit, Diskussion und weitergehende Erläuterungen
Vorlesungsskript, Übungsblätter, begleitende Internetseite
- Nonlinear dynamics and chaos. S.H. Strogatz
- Theoretische Mechanik. H. Stephani, G. Kluge
- Physics of atoms and molecules. B. Bransden, C. Joachain
- Theoretical Atomic Physics. Harald Friedrich.
Description of exams and course work
The student’s success in reaching the study objectives of this module will be examined via a written examination.
There will be a bonus (one intermediate stepping of "0,3" to the better grade) on passed module exams for students actively participating in the tutorial/seminar sessions.
There is a possibility to take the exam at the end of the semester.