Quantum Mechanics 2
Module PH1002 [ThPh KTA]
Module version of WS 2010/1
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2021/2||WS 2020/1||WS 2019/20||WS 2018/9||WS 2017/8||WS 2016/7||WS 2015/6||WS 2010/1|
PH1002 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Theory courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Specialization Modules in Elite-Master Program Theoretical and Mathematical Physics (TMP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||90 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1002 in the version of WS 2010/1 was Nora Brambilla.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Timedependent perturbation theory
- Scattering theory
- Path integrals in quantum mechanics
- Many particle theory
- relativistic formulation
After successfully taking part in this module the student has detailed knowlege in advanced quantum mechanics, in particular in relativistic quantum mechanics. He/she is able to describe and solve given problems in timedependent perturbation theory. He/she can describe scattering processes in quantum mechanics, understand processes with many particles, and use path integral methods.
No prerequisites that are not already included in the prerequisites for the Master’s programmes.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||4||Quantum Mechanics 2||Garbrecht, B.||
Wed, 12:00–14:00, virtuell
Fri, 10:00–12:00, virtuell
|UE||2||Exercise to Quantum Mechanics 2||
Responsible/Coordination: Garbrecht, B.
|dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
Vortrag, Beamerpräsentation, Übungen in Einzel- und Gruppenarbeit (ca. 6-8 Studierende mit Unterstützung durch Tutor)
- Jun John Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, 1985.
- A. Galindo, P. Pascual, Quantum Mechanics I and II, Springer Verlag 1991.
- C. Cohen-Tannoudji, B. Diu, F. Laloe, Quantum Mechanics Vol. I and II, Wiley, 1977.
- A. Messiah, Quantum Mechanics I and II, Dover Publ. 1995 2nd edition.
- F. Schwabl, Advanced Quantum Mechanics, Springer-Verlag 2000 (third edition).
- J.F. Cornwell, Group Theory in Physics, Academic Press 1984.
- H. Georgi, Lie Algebras in Particle Physics, The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company 1982
Description of exams and course work
In a written exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
There will be a bonus (one intermediate stepping of "0,3" to the better grade) on passed module exams (4,3 is not upgraded to 4,0) if the student reaches at least 50% of the points in the exercise sheets.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Quantum Mechanics 2|
|Thu, 2022-02-17, 11:00 till 13:00||Interims II: 003
Interims I: 101
|Bitte beachten Sie die Hinweise unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/. // Please read the information at https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/corona-teaching-exams/ carefully.||till 2022-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2022-02-10)|
|Tue, 2022-04-19, 11:00 till 13:00||MW: 1350
||Bitte beachten Sie die Hinweise unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/. // Please read the information at https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/corona-teaching-exams/ carefully.||till 2022-04-03 (cancelation of registration till 2022-04-12)|