Quantum Mechanics 2
Module PH1002 [ThPh KTA]
Module version of WS 2020/1 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2020/1||WS 2019/20||WS 2018/9||WS 2017/8||WS 2016/7||WS 2015/6||WS 2010/1|
PH1002 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Theory courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Specialization Modules in Elite-Master Program Theoretical and Mathematical Physics (TMP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||90 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH1002 is Björn Garbrecht.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
1. Time dependent perturbation theory.
2. Scattering theory.
3. Particles in electromagnetic fields and quantum theory of radiation.
4. Atomic transitions, multipole expansion, selection rules
5. Systems of identical particles. many body physics
After successfully taking part in this module the students are able to:
1- Derive Fermi's golden rule and apply it to calculate transition probabilities,
2- Calculate the scattering amplitude and the differential cross-section in a scattering process,
3- Derive the optical theorem and understand its consequences,
4- Write-down the wave function of a system of bosons or fermions,
5- Calculate approximately the energy spectrum of an atom with many electrons,
6- Understand the formalism of "second quantization",
No prerequisites that are not already included in the prerequisites for the Master’s programmes.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||4||Quantum Mechanics 2||Garbrecht, B.||
Fri, 10:00–12:00, virtuell
Wed, 12:00–14:00, virtuell
|UE||2||Exercise to Quantum Mechanics 2||
Responsible/Coordination: Garbrecht, B.
|dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
The modul consists of a lecture and exercise classes.
In the thematically structured lecture the learning content is presented. With cross references between different topics the universal concepts in physics are shown. In scientific discussions the students are involved to stimulate their analytic-physics intellectual power.
In the exercise the learning content is deepened and exercised using problem examples and calculations. Thus the students are able to explain and apply the learned physics knowledge independently.
Blackboard, Script, slides if available
- C. Cohen-Tannoudji, B. Diu, F. Laloe, Quantum Mechanics Vol. I and II, Wiley, 1977.
- Jun John Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, 1985.
- A. Messiah, Quantum Mechanics I and II, Dover Publ. 1995 2nd edition.
- F. Schwabl, Advanced Quantum Mechanics, Springer-Verlag 2000 (third edition).
- Relativistic Quantum Mechanics, J.D. Bjorken, S.D. Drell, MC Graw Hill Book Company; 1st edition (1964)
Description of exams and course work
There will be a written exam of 90 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using calculation problems and comprehension questions.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Calculate transition probabilities for a harmonic oscillator under a small time-dependent perturbation.
- Derive the selection rules and transition rates for a hydrogen atom under the influence of a radiation field.
- Calculate the phase shifts and the cross section for a non-relativistic particle scattering off a given potential.
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
There will be a bonus (one intermediate stepping of "0,3" to the better grade) on passed module exams (4,3 is not upgraded to 4,0). The bonus is applicable to the exam period directly following the lecture period (not to the exam repetition) and subject to the condition that the student passes the mid-term of passing the voluntary test exam during the semester
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Quantum Mechanics 2|
|Mon, 2021-02-22, 14:15 till 16:15||0.002
||Bitte lesen Sie vor der Anmeldung die Hinweise unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/ - insbesondere, wann Sie nicht zur Prüfung erscheinen dürfen und, was Sie beachten sollten, wenn Sie einer Risikogruppe für einen schweren Verlauf einer COVID-19-Erkrankung angehören. // Please read the information at https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/corona-teaching-exams/ carefully - especially the conditions in which you must not come to the exam and the necessary measures if you belong to a risk group for a severe progression of a COVID-19 case.||till 2021-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2021-02-22)|
|Fri, 2021-04-09, 14:15 till 16:15||PH: 2501
||Bitte lesen Sie vor der Anmeldung die Hinweise unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/ - insbesondere, wann Sie nicht zur Prüfung erscheinen dürfen und, was Sie beachten sollten, wenn Sie einer Risikogruppe für einen schweren Verlauf einer COVID-19-Erkrankung angehören. // Please read the information at https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/corona-teaching-exams/ carefully - especially the conditions in which you must not come to the exam and the necessary measures if you belong to a risk group for a severe progression of a COVID-19 case.||till 2021-03-22 (cancelation of registration till 2021-04-09)|