Advanced Lab Course for B.Sc. Students
Module PH0030 [FOPRA]
PH0030 is a year module in German or English language at Bachelor’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Mandatory Modules in Bachelor Programme Physics (5th Semester, Specialization AEP)
- Mandatory Modules in Bachelor Programme Physics (5th Semester, Specialization BIO)
- Mandatory Modules in Bachelor Programme Physics (5th Semester, Specialization KM)
- Mandatory Modules in Bachelor Programme Physics (5th Semester, Specialization KTA)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||2 h||6 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH0030 is Martin Stutzmann.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Advanced experiments dealing with different topics from experimental physics are carried out. The subjects of the experiments correspond to the research areas of the physics department institutes. There are no thematic restrictions in choosing the lab course experiments.
After the successful participation in the module the student is able to:
- prepare self-dependently for a scientific experiment as far as possible
- operate under guidance a complex experimental setup and carry out a scientific experiment
- record all important data during measurement
- evaluate the obtained data and write a scientific report
PH0001, PH0002, PH0003, PH0004
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Learning and Teaching Methods
The lab course is carried out in groups of maximum 3 participants. The groups are working self-dependently as far as possible. A supervisor supports the group in case that questions or problems arise.
lab course experiments
data acquisition (manual and / or computer-assisted)
experiment manuals and continuative literature (denoted in the manual)
Description of exams and course work
Altogether 6 credits have to be achieved from the catalogue of advanced lab course experiments. For each successfully completed experiment one credit is recorded (for some experiments two credits are recorded).
For the successful completion of an advanced lab course experiment following parts have to be passed:
- introductory discussion with the experiment supervisor, a preparation for the experiment has to be proved
- experimentation and recording experimental data
- preparation of a written lab report
- concluding oral discussion
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.