Module PH0021 [AEP Expert 1]
Module version of SS 2016
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions
PH0021 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Mandatory Modules in Bachelor Programme Physics (6th Semester, Specialization AEP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
Responsible coordinator of the module PH0021 in the version of SS 2016 was Katharina Krischer.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Forms of energy, power, typical energy quantities
- The quality of energy (entropie, exergy and anergy)
- Energy conversion and efficiency
- Energy resources and energy consumption
Thermodynamics of energy conversion
- Power cycles (general considerations)
- Steady state, steady flow systems
- Thermodynamic description of a power plant
- Exergy analysis of power cycles and heat pumps
- Mode of operation and general set-up
- Thermodynamics of fuel cells
- OVerview of the different types of fuel cells
Solar Radiation and solar thermal systems
- Solar radiation
- Concentration of solar radiation
- Solar-thermal energy conversion
- Flat collectors, heliostats and solar towers
- Operation mode of a solar cell, efficiency and loss mechanisms
- Design principles of solar cells
- Current developments
Photosynthesis and Solar fuels
After participation in the module the student is able to:
- Determine the energetic and exergetic efficiency of energy conversion processes
- Perform a thermodynamic analysis of steady flow systems and apply it to the composents of vapor and gas power plants
- Discuss the operation mode of fuel cells
- Derive energy balance equation for solar thermal devices
- Discuss mode of operation as well as maximum and real efficiencies of Si solar cells.
Basic knowledge in thermodynamics and condensed matter physics
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
singular or moved dates
and dates in groups
Learning and Teaching Methods
The lecture will be held in a compact form in the first half of the summer semester. Content of the lecture will be extended via tutorials in which worked examples will be presented and students will have the chance to discuss with their tutor.
Lecture: ex-cathedra teaching with blackboard and presentation
Tutorial: Discussion of weekly exrcises, additional explanations to the lectures
K. Krischer, K. Schönleber, Physics of Energy Conversion, De Gruyter 2015 (Lehrbuchsammlung, E-book)
E. Hahne, Technische Thermodynamik, Addison Wesley 2000 (Lehrbuchsammlung)
J. Larmine, A. Dicks, Fuel Cell Systems Explained, Wiley
P. Würfel, Physik der Solarzellen (neuere Auflage auf Englisch)
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 40 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Explain the difference between first and second law efficiencies with the example of a heat pump.
- Compare Ts diagrams of an ideal Rankine cycle and a Carnot cycle and discuss how the individual processes of the Rankine cycle are realized in a vapor power plant.
- What determines the reversible cell voltage of a fuel cell and what are the main loss channels?
- Derive an equivalent circuit for a solarthermal converter and determine the thermal efficiency from the corresponding balance equations.
- Discuss with energy and exergy flow diagrams the energy conversion processes in a photovoltaic cell and explain the physics behind the loss mechanisms.
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Energy Science
|Mon, 2024-02-12 till 23:55
|Dummy-Termin. Die individuellen Termine werden nach Abschluss der Anmeldung durch das Dekanat festgelegt und werden in der vorlesungsfreien Zeit (Februar-April) stattfinden.