Module PH0021 [AEP Expert 1]
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH0021 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Mandatory Modules in Bachelor Programme Physics (5th Semester, Specialization AEP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH0021 is Martin Brandt.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Forms of energy, power, typical energy quantities
- The quality of energy (entropie, exergy and anergy)
- Energy conversion and efficiency
- Energy resources and energy consumption
Thermodynamics of energy conversion
- Power cycles (general considerations)
- Steady state, steady flow systems
- Thermodynamic description of a power plant
- Exergy analysis of power cycles and heat pumps
- Mode of operation and general set-up
- Thermodynamics of fuel cells
- OVerview of the different types of fuel cells
Solar Radiation and solar thermal systems
- Solar radiation
- Concentration of solar radiation
- Solar-thermal energy conversion
- Flat collectors, heliostats and solar towers
- Operation mode of a solar cell, efficiency and loss mechanisms
- Design principles of solar cells
- Current developments
Photosynthesis and Solar fuels
After participation in the module the student is able to:
- Determine the energetic and exergetic efficiency of energy conversion processes
- Perform a thermodynamic analysis of steady flow systems and apply it to the composents of vapor and gas power plants
- Discuss the operation mode of fuel cells
- Derive energy balance equation for solar thermal devices
- Discuss mode of operation as well as maximum and real efficiencies of Si solar cells.
Basic knowledge in thermodynamics and condensed matter physics
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Learning and Teaching Methods
Die Vorlesung wird kompakt in der ersten Hälfte der Vorlesungszeit gelesen. Die Vorlesung wird ergänzt durch Tutorübungen.
E. Hahne, Technische Thermodynamik, Addison Wesley 2000 (Lehrbuchsammlung)
J. Larmine, A. Dicks, Fuel Cell Systems Explained, Wiley
P. Würfel, Physik der Solarzellen (neuere Auflage auf Englisch)
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested in an oral exam. Participation in tutorials is strongly recommended.
There is a possibility to take the exam at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Prüfung zu Energiewissenschaften (Block2A)|
|Do, 13.10.2016||bis 7.9.2016|