Module PH0020 [Bio Expert]
Module version of SS 2011
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2023||SS 2022||SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2011|
PH0020 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Mandatory Modules in Bachelor Programme Physics (6th Semester, Specialization BIO)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||90 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH0020 in the version of SS 2011 was Andreas Bausch.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This module gives an overview of the theoretical and experimental concepts of Biophysics.
The following topics will be introduced:
Bricks of life
- experimental methods for structure determination
- Michaelis Menten
- Allosterische Kontrolle
Pattern Formation Processes in Nature
- Reaction Diffusions Processes
- Selfassembly of Membranes
- Nernst-Potential, Goldman Katz, Huxly-Hodgkin-Equation
- Photosynthetic Processes
- Fluoreszenz- und Energietransferprocesses
Aspekte der Nichtgleichgewichts-Thermodynamik
- Solvation Forces
- Simulation Methods
- Molecular Dynamics Simulations
After successful participation in this module the student is able to:
- describe the bricks of life and to identify the chemical relation between them
- to describe quantitatively enzymatic processes
- identify and quantitatively describe pattern formation processes and to comprehend the underlying physcial mechanisms
- to describe membran potential and nerve action potential and to describe the underlying physical priniciples
- to undertand and expalin photophysical process
- to understand and explain out of equilibirum thermodynamics concepts
- to describe and explain molecular forces in aqueous environment
- to understand the most prominent simulation and modelation methods
- develop a scientific theme with guidance, create a presentation and
give a talk as well as judge presentation techniques and apply them.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||4||Biophysics||Bausch, A. Zacharias, M.||
Tue, 10:00–11:30, PH HS3
Tue, 12:30–14:00, PH HS3
Thu, 10:00–12:00, PH HS3
Thu, 14:00–16:00, PH HS3
|UE||2||Exercise to Biophysics||
Responsible/Coordination: Bausch, A.
|dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
zuhören, arbeiten, lesen und lernen
Lecture with Seminar
- Alberts et al. : Molecular Biology of the Cell
- Nelson: Biological Physics
- Lodish et al: Molecular Cell Biology
- Stryer: Biochemistry
- Jones: Soft Condensed Matter
- Israelachvili: Intermolecular & Surface Forces
- Hiemenz: Principles of colloid and surface chemistry
- Sackmann and Merkel: Lehrbuch der Biophysik
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested in an oral exam. Participation in tutorials is strongly recommended.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Biophysics (2A)|
|Wed, 2022-10-05||Bitte beachten Sie die Hinweise zu Prüfungen während der COVID-19-Pandemie unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen.||till 2022-09-04|