Theoretical Physics 4B (Thermodynamics and Elements of Statistical Mechanics)
Module PH0012 [ThPh 4B]
Module version of WS 2010/1
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2016||WS 2010/1|
PH0012 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|270 h||90 h||9 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH0012 in the version of WS 2010/1 was Norbert Kaiser.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Temperature and heat
- Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, ideal gas law, temperature and pressure
- work, heat, entropy, thermodynamical processes
Fundamentals of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics
- QM many particle systems, density operators
- entropy, thermal equilibrium, microcanonical distribution
- canonical distribution, partition functions
- thermodynamic potentials, stability
- Jarzynski-Crooks fluctuation theorem
- interaction-free quantum gases, classical limes
- degenerate fermi and bose gas
- bose einstein condensate
- photons, thermodynamics of radiation, phonons
Interacting gases, liquids, phase transitions
- virial expansion, van der Waals equation, phase equilibrium
- pair correlation, structure factor
- Poisson-Boltzmann and Debye-Hückel theory
lattice gas and Ising model
molecular field approximation, Ginzburg-Landau theory, critical exponents
Non equilibrium thermodynamics
- brownian motion, fluctuation dissipation theorem
- particle and heat diffusion, Einstein relation
After successful participation, students are able to
- know the fundamental terms of temperature and heat and master the corresponding relations
- comprehend the basics of statistical mechanics and their consequences for thermodynamics
- describe ideal (quantum) gases
- know important properties and descriptions of interacting gases and liquids as well as the behaviour at phase transitions
- reproduce an insight into processes of non equilibrium thermodynamics
PH0005, PH0006, PH0007, MA9201, MA9202, MA9203, MA9204
for students studying master of science education mathematics / physics: PH0005, PH0006, PH0007, MA1003, MA1004, MA1103, MA1104
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||6||Theoretical Physics 4B (Thermodynamics and Elements of Statistical Mechanics)||Kaiser, N.||
Tue, 10:00–12:00, MI HS3
Thu, 10:00–12:00, MI HS3
and dates in groups
Learning and Teaching Methods
Special topics tutorials:
teacher-centered teaching with sample calculations
solutions for problem sheets, discussions and explanations
Blackboard or powerpoint presentation
accompanying informations on-line
D.V. Schroeder: An Introduction to Thermal Physics (Addison Wesley 2000)
R. Balian: From Microphysics to Macrophysics (Springer 1991)
L.D. Landau / E.M. Lifschitz: Lehrbuch der Theoretischen Physik, Band V
S. K. Ma, Statistical Mechanics (World Scientific 1985)
R. K. Pathria, Statistical Mechanics, 2nd Edition (Butterworth Heinemann 1996)
T. Fließbach, Statistische Physik, Spektrum Wissenschaftlicher Verlag
Description of exams and course work
The module exam consists of an oral exam. In this exam students have to show that they have comprehended the fundamentals of statistical mechanics and that they are able to deduce from this the macroscopic laws of thermodynamics.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Theoretical Physics 4B (Thermodynamics and Elements of Statistical Mechanics)|
|Mon, 2023-09-18 till 23:55||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen 18.09.2023 und 21.10.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between 2023-Sep-18 and 2023-Oct-21.||till 2023-09-17|