Experimental Physics 2
Module PH0002 [ExPh 2]
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2013
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2015||SS 2013||WS 2008/9|
PH0002 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Fundamentals Examination (GOP, Part 1) in the Bachelor programme Physics
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|270 h||120 h||9 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH0002 in the version of SS 2013 was Christian Pfleiderer.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Electric current
- Electrodynamic fields
- Electromagnetic oscillations
- Electromagnetic waves
- Special relativity
After successful completion of the module the student should:
- know the basic principles of electro- and magnetostatic as well as electric currents
- be able to describe the phenomena associated with changing fields
- be able to work with electromagnetic oszillations and waves
- understand the principles behind electrochemistry
- be able to apply the consequences of special relativity
PH0001, MA9201, MA9202
for students studying bachelor of science education mathematics / physics: PH0001, MA1003, MA1004, MA1103, MA1104
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||6||Experimentalphysik 2||Pfleiderer, C.|
|VO||2||Mathematische Ergänzungen zur Experimentalphysik 2||Höffer von Loewenfeld, P.|
|UE||2||Offenes Tutorium zu Experimentalphysik 2||
Höffer von Loewenfeld, P.
Leitung/Koordination: Pfleiderer, C.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Lecture: ex-cathedra teaching with demonstration experiments
Central tutorial: ex-cathedra teaching with exercises
Tutorial: Discussion of weekly exrcises, additional explanations to the lectures
Blackboard or presentation
Demonstation experiments (explanations as downloads)
Example videos (as downloads)
Lecture notes as download
Exercises with solutions as download
* W. Demtröder, Experimentalphysik 2: Elektrizität und Optik, Springer Verlag
* W. Demtröder, Experimentalphysik 1: Mechanik und Wärme, Springer Verlag
* D. Meschede, Gerthsen Physik, Springer Verlag
* Bergmann-Schaefer, Lehrbuch der Experimentalphysik 2: Elektromagnetismus, de Gruyter
* Bergmann-Schaefer, Lehrbuch der Experimentalphysik 1: Mechanik, Akustik, Wärme, de Gruyter
* Tipler, Physik, Spektrum
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested in a written exam. Participation in tutorials is strongly recommended.
General Remarks on Exams within Fundamentals Examination (GOP, Part 1) in the Bachelor programme Physics
The written exams in the mandatory modules of the first year in the Bachelor’s program Physics are subject to the rules of the Fundamentals Examination (GOP). Each non-passed exam may only be repeated once. If after the repeat exams of one semester the student failed in one and only one of the three exams a rescue exam is granted where the grade may be corrected to 4,0.
By act of the examination regulations (FPSO) students in the Bachelor’s program Physics are registered to the module exams and do not need to register in TUMonline. For students that do not show up at the exam the exam is counted as failed.
There is a possibility to take the exam at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Prüfung zu Experimentalphysik 2|
|Do, 13.10.2016, 8:00 bis 9:30||MW: 0001
||Studierende im Bachelorstudiengang Physik gelten Kraft FPSO als gemeldet (Prüfung ist Teil der Grundlagen- und Orientierungsprüfung).||bis 19.9.2016 (Abmeldung bis 6.10.2016)|