Applied Sound Design using Structural Optimization
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
MW2325 is a semester module in German language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Further Modules from Other Disciplines
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||60 h||4 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Definition of targets for optimization task: identification of significant outcomes such as harmonics and modal damping, formulating and solving the optimization problem for the acoustic design of vibro-acoustic systems under definable criteria
- Sound radiation and auralization: sound intensity and sound power, radiation of sound, auralization of the system response of the structure, evaluation of sound and deriving measures for modification
- explain the fundamental concepts and principles of the acoustic radiation and acoustic power
- create and examine a parameterized FE model of a structure in terms of geometry and material by using the software COMSOL Multiphysics
- understand the approach for structural optimization and its application in COMSOL
- analyze the vibration behavior of mechanical structures based on their mode shapes
- to develop a program based on the interface between COMSOL and Matlab, which is used for auralization and visualization of the results
- evaluate the emitted vibration response in terms of predefined targets and derive measures for further structural optimization
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Learning and Teaching Methods
In supervised individual work on the computer, students are introduced to the work with the software COMSOL Multiphysics and Matlab during the semester and continuously trained, whereby documentation and tutorials are offered to support independent further education.
The students work on subtasks, which the students introduce during the course to a final simulation project, which the participants independently solve on the computer.
The project results will be presented and evaluated in individual interviews and as concluding lectures.
Description of exams and course work
On the basis of the subtasks to be worked on, it is examined to what extent the students have understood the technical and methodological basics of sound radiation and structural optimization and how they can apply them. It is demonstrated in the tasks that the participants can create parameterized structural models with the commercial software COMSOL Multiphysics and control and simulate the acoustical characteristics by using MATLAB. It is shown that the participants can evaluate the results of their own FEM simulations and derive measures for further structural optimization with regard to defined acoustic and structural dynamic target values. In the presentation, the students show their insights in a suitable way including the work steps and derived measures in an understandable manner for the listeners and examiners.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Applied Sound Design using Structural Optimization|
|Fri, 2021-04-23, 16:00 till 17:00||till 2021-04-23|