This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
MW2323 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- understand the formulations of finite element method (FEM) and boundary element method (BEM) for the solution of acoustic problems and to outline the main steps on their own
- explain the basics of meshing and the methods of discretization
- describe and analyze specific problems of FEM and BEM regarding the application in acoustics
- designate the basic structure of a FEM program and to develop a tool in Matlab to solve an acoustic problem numerically
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Learning and Teaching Methods
The exercise will be held as a computer lab with work in Matlab. Students will first receive an introduction to Matlab and are supported to gradually develop their own FEM program to solve an acoustic problem numerically. Progress is controlled in the form of homework, which is graded and part of the final grade of the module. Some basic functions for meshing and visualization of the results are provided to the students.
Description of exams and course work
In the exam (auxiliary media/tools are not allowed), the students demonstrate that they can name the basic equations of acoustics and that they can master the essential steps to solve acoustic tasks using FEM and BEM and that they are able to solve specific problems in the field. Homework in a computer-aided exercise serves as a mid-term (study achievement) in which students demonstrate that they can independently implement the learned steps to implement an FEM program in MATLAB and physically interpret the results.
In the case of a failed module examination, the overall grade can not be improved by mid-term services. Existing mid-term achievements can be taken into account when repeating a failed module exam at the next possible exam date.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.