Think. Make. Start. (Build innovative products of your ideas in 10 days!)
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2020
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2021||WS 2020/1||SS 2020||WS 2019/20||WS 2014/5|
MW2245 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of soft-skill courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||120 h||6 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
For more information, visit www.thinkmakestart.com and www.tms.tum.de.
- examine the relevance of a problem and develop a solution collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team.
- to discover the innovation potentials of new products / ideas, to evaluate the novelty and social relevance.
- To convert one's own ideas into a Minimum Viable Product and thus use potentials for one's own business start-up.
- To know methods of product development (from thinking to doing), to apply them independently and to evaluate the results (prototyping, design thinking, lean startup, agile, systems engineering).
- to reproduce the principles of user-centred design, to apply them independently and to evaluate them.
- Understand the context of use and analyse customer needs (where do I serve a need and what technology/method do I use).
- To quickly develop important hypotheses involving relevant stakeholders (customer, user, ...) through proper Planning with "purposeful prototyping".
- Change perspectives across disciplines and apply project management in interdisciplinary teamwork.
- To work independently, to make and justify decisions and to learn from one's own mistakes.
- To possibly lay the foundation for one's own business start-up by identifying a start-up idea or team.
For the "Problem Expert" role, experience in the following areas is an advantage:
- User Testing, Requirements Engineering, Interviewing, Human-Centered Design, Design, Visualisation, Use Case Definition, UX/UI Design, marketing, market research, benchmarking, design thinking.
For the "Tech Developer" role, experience in the following areas is an advantage:
- Hardware (mechanical): design, manufacturing (workshop/makerspace), prototyping, CAD/CAM.
- Hardware (electronic): embedded systems engineering, microcontrollers, sensors/actuators, Arduino, Raspberry, circuitry, board design, metrology, BUS protocols, prototyping, closed-loop/open-loop control, robotics
- Software focus: Backend development, databases, frontend development, machine learning, web development, app development, embedded systems
For the "Business Developer" role, experience in the following areas is an advantage:
- Business Plan/Strategy/Design, Marketing, Sales, Interviewing, Finance & Accounting, Business Law & Regulations, Entrepreneurship.
The number of participants is limited and there will be an application process.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Martins Pacheco, N. … (insgesamt 7)
Responsible/Coordination: Zimmermann, M.
Wed, 09:00–18:00, ERI 0001
and singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
- Milestones to be achieved, team roles to be held and predetermined course structure provide the roadmap for the project.
- Coaching and teaching expertise in prototyping, business validation, agile development, design thinking, systems engineering, lean startup and user-centred design.
- Teaching the basics of interdisciplinary collaboration through a role concept (Business Developer, Tech Developer, Problem Expert).
- All participants work in interdisciplinary teams (10 teams of 5 students each) and are encouraged to become active themselves and learn through practical experience (hands-on learning).
- Each team pursues a real business idea chosen for the seminar. Special attention is given to really understanding the customer and verifying the solution approach, through questioning, observation, prototyping or expert discussion.
- Using prototyping to bridge the gap between thinking and doing.
- Reflecting on one's own results and approach supports project decisions.
- The teams present their projects to a jury on DemoDay and present the prototypically implemented product ideas to guests from industry, the start-up scene and research.
Faltin, Günter (2008): Kopf schlägt Kapital, Hanser
Halgrimsson (2012): Prototyping and Model Making for Product Design (2012)
Kalweit Andreas, Paul Christof, Peters Sascha, Wallbaum Reiner (2012) Handbuch für Technisches
Produktdesign, Material und Fertigung, Entscheidungsgrundlage für Designer und Ingenieure, 2. Auflage, Springer
Kelly, Tom (2016): The Art of Innovation
Lindemann, U (2007): Methodische Entwicklung technischer Produkte - Methoden flexibel und situationsgerecht anwenden. 2. Auflage
Münchener Business Plan Wettbewerb: Handbuch Businessplan-Erstellung, München
Malek, Miroslaw / Ibach, Peter K. (2004): Entrepreneurship, Dpunkt Verlag
Moore, Geoffrey A. (2002): Crossing the Chasm, Harpercollins
Osterwalder, Alexander / Pigneur, Yves (2010): Business Model Generation: A Handbook for
Ries, Eric (2011): The Lean Startup
Savoia, Antonio (2019): The right It
Timmons, Jeffry A. / Spinelli, Stephen (2009): New Venture Creation, 7thedition, McGraw, Hill Professional
UnternehmerTUM (2011): Handbuch Schlüsselkompetenzen, 7. Auflage
Description of exams and course work
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Think. Make. Start.|
|Fri, 2022-10-07, 16:00 till 17:00||till 2022-09-19 (cancelation of registration till 2022-09-20)|