Polymers and Polymer Technology
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2022/3 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2022/3||WS 2021/2||WS 2015/6|
MW2232 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Bio-Sensors in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
• Structural design of polymers
• Chemical, physical and rheological properties and their effects on processability
• Established and novel polymer processing methods (injection moulding, extrusion and compounding, additive manufacturing, fiber-forming techniques)
• Areas of application for polymers
• Test methods for polymer characterization
• Degradation and recycling of (bio-)polymers
• Examples of the application of polymer technologies in current research projects at the Chair of Medical Materials and Implants
• Basic knowledge of the different classes of plastics, their fields of application and processing possibilities
• Critical evaluation of plastics technology problems
• Own development of innovative solutions in the field of plastics technology
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||3||Polymers and Polymertechnology||
|UE||2||Tutorials Polymer and Polymertechnology - Processing||
Learning and Teaching Methods
In the live lecture or a corresponding video lecture, the theoretical basics are taught in a structured and comprehensive manner. In addition to the lecturer's presentation, the teaching of the basics is also visually supported by videos. The presented slides as well as further information will be made available to the students online via the Moodle learning management system in order to enable them to follow up the content on their own.
The exercise offers students the opportunity to deepen their knowledge of plastics technology in small groups by means of practical demonstrations of the manufacturing processes on the plastics processing machines. In addition, the exercise also offers the opportunity to ask specific questions to the lecturer, so that gaps in knowledge can be closed or individual areas of interest can be deepened.
In this way, students are taught, for example, different classes of plastics, their areas of application and processing possibilities. They also learn to critically evaluate plastics technology issues and to develop innovative solutions in the field of plastics technology on their own.
Wintermantel, E., Ha, S.-W., Medizintechnik - Life Science Engineering, 5. Auflage, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, Deutschland, 2009, http://www.springerlink.com/content/j78q17/
Michaeli, W., Haberstroh, E., Schmachtenberg, E., Menges, G., Werkstoffkunde Kunststoffe, 5. Auflage, Hanser, München, 2002, http://www.hanser.de/buch.asp?isbn=3-446-21257-4&area=Technik
Michaeli, W., Einführung in die Kunststoffverarbeitung, 5. Auflage, Hanser, München, 2006, http://www.hanser.de/buch.asp?isbn=3-446-40580-1&area=Technik
Description of exams and course work
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Polymers and Polymer Technology|
|Thu, 2023-02-16, 14:15 till 15:45||0001
|Import||till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-02-09)|