Fundamentals of Aeronautical Engineering
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2021 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2012||WS 2011/2|
MW1990 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in winter semester.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Historical development of fixed-wing aircraft: civil and military aviation
- Aircraft (fixed wing): overview, fundamentals of aircraft aerodynamics (lift, drag, stability), mass estimation, fundamentals of propulsion integration, point and mission performance.
-Historical development rotorcraft
-Other topics in the field of rotorcraft
- Aviation safety
- Programmatics, systems: programatics, assemblies, systems (capabilities, functionalities, realization).
Other lectures offered at ILR in the areas of the topics covered are suitable for in-depth study.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Fundamentals of Aeronautical Engineering||
Assistants: Klaproth, T.
|UE||1||Exercises Fundamentals of Aeronautical Engineering||
Assistants: Klaproth, T.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Description of exams and course work
Students must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the following topics by answering knowledge questions/computational problems:
Fixed wing part:
- Historical development of fixed wing aircraft: civil and military aviation.
- Basics of aircraft aerodynamics: lift, drag, stability
- Weight and masses
- Basics of flight propulsion
- Mission and point performance
- Aircraft systems and programatics
- Fundamentals of flight physics
- rotor dynamics
- Safety in air traffic
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Fundamentals of Aeronautical Engineering|