Trends in Medical Engineering 1
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2020/1
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2022/3||WS 2021/2||WS 2020/1||WS 2011/2|
MW0715 is a semester module in English language at Bachelor’s level and Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|90 h||30 h||3 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
In addition to a lecturer's presentation, the topics will be treated and discussed on the basis of current scientific literature. In this interactive course, students learn how to deal with scientific literature by identifying the most important contents of scientific publications and presenting them to the group. This is intended to introduce the students to the newest research results and discuss them with the lecturers.
The module is complementary to the module "Trends in Medical Engineering 2". The two modules are independent of each other.
- Basic knowledge and interdisciplinary understanding of the diverse medical technology topics presented
- Understanding and evaluation of scientific publications from different areas of medical technology
- Extraction of essential information from a publication
- Preparation of a scientific presentation on the state of the art on the topic, considering the contents of the papers
- Interdisciplinary evaluation of innovations
- Critical assessment of the scientific value of the publications
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Trends in Medical Engineering 1||
Responsible/Coordination: Mela, P.
Thu, 13:00–15:00, MW 1401
|UE||1||Trends in Medical Engineering 1||
Responsible/Coordination: Mela, P.
Tue, 09:00–10:00, virtuell
Tue, 09:00–10:00, MW 3408
Learning and Teaching Methods
In the exercise the students are supported in their work with scientific literature and in preparing the PowerPoint presentation. Additionally, a feedback session takes place after the presentation.
Students are expected to extract technical and scientific knowledge from the lecturers’ and guest experts’ presentations. Students should also learn how to prepare a scientific presentation on the state of the art in the subjects dealt with, taking into account the contents of the publications, to critically assess the scientific value of the publications and to acquire additional medical technology knowledge.
Paperback ISBN: 9780323427968
eBook ISBN: 9781455733286
Hardcover ISBN: 9781455743773
Tortora, G. J. (2004) Principles of Human Anatomy (10th ed.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Description of exams and course work
1. Presentation: The student presents a selected topic to their fellow students based on current literature (10 min). In addition to the understanding of the topic, the students’ ability to present the knowledge didactically in a good way and to make their own assessments is also examined. The grading of the presentation will be based on the presentation style, the didactic quality of the presentation and the slide design.
2. Written exam: In a written exam (duration: 60 min) the understanding of the gained technical knowledge of cutting-edge medical technology is checked. No aids are permitted for the exam.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Trends in Medical Engineering 1|
|Thu, 2023-02-09, 13:30 till 14:30||1350
||till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-02-02)|