Trends in Medical Engineering 1
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2020/1 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2020/1||WS 2011/2|
MW0715 is a semester module in English language at Bachelor’s level and Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|90 h||30 h||3 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
In addition to a lecturer's presentation, the topics will be treated and discussed on the basis of current scientific literature. In this interactive course, students learn how to deal with scientific literature by identifying the most important contents of scientific publications and presenting them to the group. This is intended to introduce the students to the newest research results and discuss them with the lecturers.
The module is complementary to the module "Trends in Medical Technology 2", in which other organ systems are covered. Both modules are independent of each other.
- Basic knowledge and interdisciplinary understanding of the diverse medical technology topics presented
- Understanding and evaluation of scientific publications from different areas of medical technology
- Extraction of essential information from a publication
- Preparation of a scientific presentation on the state of the art on the topic, considering the contents of the papers
- Interdisciplinary evaluation of innovations
- Critical assessment of the scientific value of the publications
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Trends in Medical Technology 1||Eggert, S. Jodeit, F. Mela, P. Moniz Rosas, G. Zhong, Z.||
Thu, 14:00–16:00, virtuell
Learning and Teaching Methods
In the seminar the lecturer or an external expert gives an overview talk on the basics of the respective topic. Afterwards, a group of students is given a selection of scientific publications on the topic, whose contents must be summarized in a PowerPoint presentation by the next seminar date. This presentation is then presented to the fellow students. The seminar thus consists of the didactic elements of frontal teaching, work with scientific literature and own presentation.
In the tutorial the students are supported in their work with scientific literature and in preparing the PowerPoint presentation. Additionally, a feedback session takes place after the presentation.
Students should learn, for example, how to prepare a scientific presentation on the state of the art in the subject dealt with, taking into account the contents of the publications, to critically assess the scientific value of the publications, and to acquire medical technology knowledge.
Description of exams and course work
1. Presentation: The student presents a selected topic to his fellow students based on current literature. In addition to the understanding of the topic, the students’ ability to present the knowledge didactically in a good way and to make their own assessments is also examined. The grading of the presentation will be based on the presentation style, the didactic quality of the presentation and the slide design.
2. Written exam: In a written exam (duration: 60 min) the understanding of the gained technical knowledge is checked. In addition, it is examined to what extent students are able to apply the acquired knowledge to solve new problems and to use it for the analysis and evaluation of medical technology problems. No aids are permitted for the exam.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Trends in Medical Engineering 1|
|Thu, 2021-02-11, 14:30 till 16:00||Interims I: 101
||till 2021-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2021-02-04)|