Modern Control 1
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2013/4 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|WS 2013/4||SS 2013|
MW0538 is a semester module in German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Outline of the module
2. Design of state feedback control for MIMO systems
3. State observers
4. Disturbance attenuation
5. Extended controller structures
6. Feedback linearization of nonlinear sytsems
7. Outlook: Artificial Neural Networks and control by Fuzzy Logic
- apply the presented theory to the design of linear state feedback controllers and observers
- assess the applicability of the different presented methods and use them for the corresponding classes of systems
- assess system properties like stability, controllability, observability for open loop and closed loop systems under the conditions of the applied design method
- augment state space control by the presented methods for disturbance attenuation
- design feedback linearizing controllers for nonliner single input single output (SISO) system
- create block diagrams for complexe control tasks
- understand the principles of Artificial Neural Networks and control by Fuzzy Logic.
The module "Systems Theory in Mechatronics" is recommended.
As an alternative an introduction to the state space representation can be downloaded for individual preparation:
- Grundlagen.pdf (revision of important facts from "Automatic Control")
- Zustandsdarstellung.pdf (important issues from "Systems Theory"),
- Analyse.pdf (additional material on controllability, observability, stability, invariant zeros).
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Modern Control 1 - Lecture -||
Thu, 10:15–11:45, MW 0350
Thu, 10:15–11:45, MW 0350
|UE||1||Modern Control 1 - Exercise Course -||
Thu, 11:45–12:45, MW 0350
Thu, 12:00–12:45, MW 0350
|UE||1||Modern Control 1 - Consolidation and Literature Colloquium -|
|TT||2||Modern Control 1 - Tutorial -||dates in groups|
Learning and Teaching Methods
Problems can be downloaded and the solutions are presented in parts in the problem sessions. Active participation of the students (questions, comments) is desired. Additional problems are provided for unassisted exercise as well as solutions to all problems (download).
Furthermore three tutorial sessions in several groups are offered to apply the content of the module to three technical problems.
Office hours of the assistant lecturer (on appointment) offer a possibility for further questions and discussion.
Additional material, problems, solutions and tutorials can be downloaded from the institute's webpage
 Lunze, J.: Regelungstechnik 1 und 2. Springer 1997. Textbook in 2 volumes, many examples and problems, including MATLAB problems.
 Ludyk, G.: Theoretische Regelungstechnik. Springer 1995. Two volume textbook with a focus on mathematical accuracy and completeness.
 Slotine, J.J.E. and W. Li: Applied Nonlinear Control. Prentice Hall. Famous textbook on nonlinear control.
 Franklin, G.F., Powell, J.D., Emami-Naeini, A.: Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems. Pearson 2006. Modern textbook.
 Dorf, R.C., Bishop, R.H.: Moderne Regelungssysteme. Pearson 2006. Famous textbook, in English or German.
Description of exams and course work
The main part of the exam consists of the application of the learned methods on different problems by calculations. In the smaller part theoretic issues are checked by comprehension questions.
The only allowed aid is a self-provided, handwritten formulary on a both-sided DIN A4 sheet. A calculator is not allowed
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.