Space Environment and its Simulation
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2020 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2020||SS 2013||WS 2012/3|
MW0460 is a semester module in English language at Bachelor’s level and Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|90 h||30 h||3 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- understand the conditions of space environment in space flight;
- analyze the effects which are relevant for space flight;
- understand and to recognize the necessity for pre-launch simulation of the space environment;
- analyze the challenges and restrictions of these simulation in laboratories on Earth.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Space Environment and its Simulation||Rott, M.||
Learning and Teaching Methods
- movies and animations
- Gerd W. Prölls, Physics of the Earth's Space Environment, Springer Verlag, 2004, ISBN: 3-540-21426-7
- Frank Fahy, John Walker, Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration, E&FN Spon, 1998, ISBN: 0-419-27700-8
- NASA Technical Handbook, Dynamic Environmental Criteria, NASA-HDBK-7005, 2001
Description of exams and course work
Note in view of the limitations on university operations as a result of the CoViD19 pandemic: If the basic conditions (hygiene, physical distance rules, etc.) for a classroom-based examination cannot be met, the planned form of examination can be changed to a written or oral online examination in accordance with §13a APSO. The decision about this change will be announced as soon as possible, but at least 14 days before the date of the examination by the examiner after consultation with the board of examiners of the respective study program.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Space Environment and its Simulation|
|Thu, 2021-02-18, 8:00 till 9:30||MW: 1801
||till 2021-01-22 (cancelation of registration till 2021-02-11)|