CFD-Simulation of Thermal Processes
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2020/1 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2020/1||WS 2011/2|
MW0210 is a semester module in German language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|90 h||30 h||3 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
1. Basics of numerical methods: linear and non-linear algebraic systems of equations; optimization methods; interpolation and approximation; differentiation and integration; ordinary and partial differential equations, difference methods, finite volume methods
2. Numerical fluid mechanics: Equations of fluid mechanics; turbulence modelling; meshing; heat and mass transfer; multiphase and multi-component flows; chemically reacting flows.
3. Computer exercises: geometry construction, meshing, simulation of a thermal process, simulation of multi-component flows (stationary/stationary) etc.
- classify and evaluate numerical problems with the acquired knowledge and to recognize and apply the respective solution methods.
- understand specific problems in the field of CFD and to solve/optimize them by setting up a simulation.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Numerical methods for energy systems||de Riese, T. Haimerl, J. Wilhelm, S.||
Thu, 11:15–12:45, MW 3707
and singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
Lomax, Pulliam, Zingg: Fundamentals of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2001
Oertel, H., Eckhart, L. Numerische Strömungsmechanik, Grundgleichungen, Lösungsmethoden, Softwarebeispiele, 2013.
Anderson, D.A., Tannehill, J.C., Pletcher, R.H. Computational fluidmechanics and heat transfer, 1984.
Hirsch, C., Numerical computation of internal and external flows. Volume 1: Fundamentals of numerical discretization 1992.
Wendt, J.F. (Editor) Computational fluid dynamics. An introduction, 1992.
Description of exams and course work
Auxiliary means are not allowed during the examination.
The final grade consists of the following examination elements:
- 100 % oral final examination
The final grade is composed of the following examination elements:
- 100 % oral final examination
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|CFD-Simulation of Thermal Processes|