Medical Technology 1 - An Organ System Based Approach
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2022/3 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2022/3||WS 2021/2||WS 2020/1||SS 2018||SS 2013|
MW0056 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Bio-Sensors in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
The module "Medical Technology 1 - an organ system-based approach" focuses on the following organ systems (subject to change): integumentary system (skin), sensory system (especially eye), cardiovascular system, skeletal and muscular system. The module is complementary to "Medical Technology 2 - an organ system based approach", in which other organ systems are covered. The two modules are independent of each other.
- Extensive knowledge of the anatomy, physiology and pathology of organ systems
- Understanding of the functional principles of the corresponding medical diagnostic and therapeutic solutions
- Knowledge of the use of medical technology solutions in the medical environment
- Ability to apply the knowledge for own medical technology developments, for example in the form of bachelor, semester or master theses.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||3||Basics Medical Engineering: Biocompatible Materials 1||
Learning and Teaching Methods
In the exercises, the acquired knowledge about the use of medical technology solutions can be further deepened by attending surgical operations, where both the disease patterns and the therapeutic measures can be demonstrated live and discussed with clinical experts. The exercise thus consolidates the knowledge by providing a connection to the real clinical environment. After the lecture, the students have the opportunity to ask the lecturer specific questions individually or in small groups. Through the question-answer format, further gaps in knowledge can be closed or individual areas of interest can be explored in greater detail. The lecturer will go beyond the contents of the lecture in the explanations in order to place the knowledge in a larger medical technology context.
- Medizin für Ingenieure, Gunther O. Hofmann, Hanser, 2021, ISBN 978-3-446-46423-0
- Materials for medical application, Robert B. Heimann, De Gruyter, 2020, ISBN 978-3-11-061924-9
Description of exams and course work
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Medical Technology 1 - An Organ System Based Approach|
|Mon, 2023-02-13, 11:30 till 13:00||00.02.001
|Import||till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-02-06)|