Radiation Protection and Medical Applications
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
MEMA-STRB002 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Imaging in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||75 h||6 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- History of radiation protection and the international organizations involved in setting standards of radiation protection
- Introduction into concepts, dose specification and risk/benefit balance. Legal regulations of radiation protection
- Introduction into radiological procedures in the diagnosis and therapy of diseases and the associated radiation exposures. Risk/benefit in radiation therapy and diagnosis.
- Applications of reactor neutrons in medicine and biomedical research
- Demonstrations of the function of hardware used in diagnostic radiology, nuclear medicine and radiation therapy.
- Diagnostic concepts in nuclear medicine based on the tracer method and its application in oncological and non-oncological questions
- to understand the indications of the different radiological imaging methods and the associated radiation exposures of the patients and the technical and anatomical factors which influence exposure,
- to understand and apply the rules and regulations of occupational radiation protection and of radiation protection of the general population and patients undergoing diagnostic or interventional procedures involving radiation.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Learning and Teaching Methods
Description of exams and course work
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam of Radiation Protection and Medical Applications|
|Thu, 2022-02-24, 10:00 till 12:00||till 2022-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2022-02-17)|