Introduction to Biological Imaging
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2012
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2012/3||SS 2012|
ME562 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered irregularly.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Imaging in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||120 h||6 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- physical and hardware components of all major imaging techniques
- wave propagation in tissues for non-diffracted and diffracted sources
- principles of forward modelling and inversion / image reconstruction
- own inversion programming in Matlab
- Application regimes of anatomical, functional and molecular imaging
- emerging, next generation imaging technologies
(corresponding courses: Mathematics 1 & 4, Signaldarstellungen, Schaltungstechnik 1 as well as the project course Matlab)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Introduction to Biological Imaging||Ntziachristos, V.||
Learning and Teaching Methods
- ""paper"" publications
- the students solve exercises on mostly provided computers with suitable software (Matlab)
- Ntziachristos V., Leroy-Willig A, Tavitian B (Hrsg.): Textbook of in-vivo Imaging in Vertebrates
- Kak A, Slaney M: Principles of Computerized Tomography
Description of exams and course work
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Introduction to Biological Imaging|
|Mon, 2023-03-27, 16:30 till 18:00||Retake exam||till 2023-03-20 (cancelation of registration till 2023-03-22)|