A Mathematical Introduction to Magnetohydrodynamics
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2016/7
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2019||SS 2018||WS 2016/7|
MA5902 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered irregular.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|90 h||30 h||3 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Basic concepts and quantities of fluid dynamics.
- Reynolds transport theorem and the equation of fluid dynamics.
- Relation to kinetic theory.
- Multi-fluid description of plasmas and quasi-neutral limit.
- Derivation of MHD equations from multi-fluid theories.
- Global conservation theorems for MHD.
- Topology of the magnetic field lines.
- Conservation of the magnetic flux.
- Qualitative aspects of the solutions of MHD equations.
- Reduced MHD equations and conservation theorems.
- Variational formulation of MHD.
- Hamiltonian formulation of MHD and reduced MHD.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||A Mathematical Introduction to Magnetohydrodynamics [MA5902]||Maj, O.||
Wed, 12:15–13:45, MI 03.08.011
Learning and Teaching Methods
- A. J. Chorin and J. E. Marsden, A Mathematical Introduction to Fluid Dynamics}, Springer-Verlag (1993).
- D. D. Schnack, Lectures on Magnetohydrodynamics}, Springer (2009).
- E. Priest, Magnetohydrodynamics of the Sun}, Cambridge University Press (2014).
Further readings will be suggested during the classes with comments and indications as appropriate to the specific topic. For the final examination the material covered by the lecture notes is more than sufficient.
Description of exams and course work
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|A Mathematical Introduction to Magnetohydrodynamics|
|Prüfungstermin wird mit dem Prüfer abgesprochen.||till 2019-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2019-07-26)|