Numerical Methods for Fluid-Structure Interaction
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
MA5514 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered once.
This module description is valid from SS 2015 to SS 2015.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
2) Modeling of fluid flows and solid mechanics
3) FSI-modeling: coupling techniques of fluids and solids,
transformations between Eulerian and Lagrangian
4) Discretization: Time, space (FEM), nonlinear and
5) Sensitivity analysis for FSI: a posteriori error estimation,
gradient-based optimization (if time permits)
In this class, students will learn about coupling conditions for interface problems. They will get an understanding about the properties of the single subsystems (i.e., their mathematical properties and related types of discretization).
- MA3005 Partial differential equations (if possible)
- MA3303 Numerical methods for partial differential equations (required)
- Concepts of continuum mechanics (if possible)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Learning and Teaching Methods
by Ch. Grossmann, H.-G. Roos, M. Stynes
(for basics in FEM)
2) Numerische Mathematik 3 Numerische Methoden für
Probleme der Kontinuumsmechanik
by R. Rannacher (Online script at Heidelberg
University, in german)
3) Numerische Methoden in der Stroemungsmechanik,
Universität Heidelberg, 2014 by T. Richter
(Online script, in german)
4) Lecture notes to this class by T. Wick; will be
prepared this winter and during the class (in english)