Geometric Continuum Mechanics
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
MA5339 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered irregular.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||60 h||6 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
1. simplices and uniform fluxes, Cauchy theorem
2. elements of exterior algebra and differentiable manifolds
3. elements of differential forms and integration on manifolds
4. balance principles and fluxes
5. stress theory
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||3||Geometric Continuum Mechanics [MA5339]||Karrasch, Daniel, K.||
Tue, 10:15–11:45, MI 03.06.011
Thu, 10:15–11:45, MI 02.10.011
Learning and Teaching Methods
The module is offered as lectures accompanied by irregular practice sessions. In the lectures, the contents will be presented in a talk with demonstrative examples, as well as through discussion with the students. The lectures should motivate the students to carry out their own analysis of the themes presented and to independently study the relevant literature. Corresponding to the lectures, practice sessions will be offered irregularly. This way, students can deepen their understanding of the methods and concepts taught in the lectures and independently check their progress.
- M. Epstein, The Geometrical Language of Continuum Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, 2010
- J. M. Lee, Introduction to Smooth Manifolds, Springer, 2012
- T. Aubin, A Course in Differential Geometry, 2001, AMS