This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2012/3
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2017/8||SS 2013||WS 2012/3|
EI8031 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This module description is valid from WS 2012/3 to SS 2022.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- evaluating the electromagnetic compatibility and the principles of converter circuits in their respective application
- analyzing non-controlled and controlled rectifiers and mains adaptors
- remembering the advantages and disadvantages of power semiconductors
- analyzing and designing basic rectifier circuits conform to the specified application
- understanding and evaluating the basic behavior of voltage source inverters
- understanding different rectifier concepts
- knowing and evaluating the interaction between rectifiers/inverters and their surrounding systems
- understanding pulse width modulation methods
- knowing space vector concept in electric machine control
- linear algebra, ordinary differential equations,
- complex calculus for alternating current systems
- Basic knowledge about electrics and electronics
- electric drives (non-obligatory)
- fundamentals in (linear) control theory (non-obligatory)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Learning and Teaching Methods
As teaching method during lectures and tutorials ex cathedra style is preferred. During tutorials also problems and exercises are provided (discussion, evaluation and analysis of e.g. simulation examples, solution statements, ...) with regards to different rectifier concepts. This allows students to make a connection between application scenarios of different systems presented in the lecturer in the industrial environment. The practical course allows to practice the content of lecture and tutorials by e.g. simulations, e.g. experiencing of transient behaviour of power semiconductor devices.
- Black- / whiteboard
- Overhead projector
- Simulation examples
- Jäger, R. & Stein, E. , ""Leistungselektronik - Grundlagen und Anwendungen"", 5. Auflage, Vde-Verlag, 2000
- Jäger, R. & Stein, E. , ""Übungen zur Leistungselektronik"", Vde-Verlag, 2000
- Heumann, K. ""Grundlagen der Leistungselektronik"", Teubner Verlag, 6. Auflage, 1996
- Bose, B. K. ""Modern power electronics and ac drives"", Prentice Hall International, 2001
- Vas, P., ""Vector control of AC machines"". New York: Oxford University Press, 1990
- Valentine, R., ""Motor control electronics handbook"". New York: McGraw-Hill, 1998
Description of exams and course work
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.