BioMEMS and Microfluidics
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
EI7473 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Bio-Sensors in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- Catalogue of non-physics elective courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
• Introduction to polymer-based microsystems & printing technologies
• Introduction to fluid mechanics: applications of the Navier-Stokes equation
• The diffuse structure of the electrical double layer
• Droplet microfluidics
• Microfluidic cell culture systems: Network patterning & axon guiding
• Cell-chip communication & biohybrid systems
• On-chip neuroscience
1. compare different models for electrode/electrolyte interfaces and explain their limitations
2. illustrate the physical concepts and applications for on-chip particle and droplet actuation
3. understand the mechanisms of electrically and electrochemically coupled cell-chip interfaces
4. describe various methods of neuronal network patterning
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VI||4||BioMEMS & Microfluidics||Rinklin, P. Wolfrum, B.||
Fri, 10:00–13:00, MSB E.126
Learning and Teaching Methods
Description of exams and course work
In order to individually monitor the learning progress, the students are given weekly problems related to the current lecture topics, which will be solved during the excercise (pass/fail exams).
In the written exam, the students demonstrate their knowledge of BioMEMS and associated physical phenomena by answering questions with limited supporting material. They will also show their ability to transfer the conveyed concepts by solving BioMEMS- and microfluidics-related problems.
To pass the module it is required that at least 50% of the pass/fail-exams are passed.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|BioMEMS and Microfluidics|
|till 2020-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2020-01-30)|