Memory Technologies for Data Storage
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
EI7240 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This module description is valid from SS 2011 to WS 2019/20.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||60 h||6 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
-resistive memory technologies (STT, Memristor etc.)
-3D memory technologies
-CD, DVD, Blu-ray and extensions
mechanical and magnetic memories:
-magnetic tape storage
historical memory devices
- knows the economic and performance aspects of the memory hierarchy (evaluate)
- is able to evaluate pros and cons of different memory technologies
- knows which memory to choose for a given application (apply)
- knows what technology to choose for having memory w/o extra masks (apply)
- knows a metric how to benchmark different memory technologies (evaluate)
- knows the physical limitation for each memory technology (evaluate)
- knows the physical challenges for each technology (evaluate)
- understands the basic physics and technology for semiconductor memories
- understands the basic physics and technology for magnetic storage
- understands the basic physics and technology of insulators and high-k materials
- understands the basic physics and technology for phase-change and polymer materials for data storage
- knows architecture-based limitations of certain memory technologies (evaluate)
- has an overview of current nano-electronic challenges
The following modules should be passed before taking the course:
- Physik für Elektroingenieure
- Werkstoffe der Elektrotechnik
- Elektronische Bauelemente
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||4||Memory technologies for data storage||
Wed, 15:00–16:30, 2760
Thu, 13:15–14:45, N5325
and singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
readings assignments, case studies
Individual and group exercises and group presentations
In addition to the individual student's methods a consolidated
knowledge is targeted by repeated lessons in exercises and tutorials.
During the lectures students are instructed in a teacher-centered style. The exercises are held in a student-centered way.
hand-outs on Moodle
Volume 2: The basic system components
Volume 2: Memory architecture 6.1 - 6.6
Memory Systems: Cache, DRAM, Disk. Bruce Jacob, Spencer W. Ng, and David T. Wang, with contributions by Samuel Rodriguez. ISBN 978-0-12-379751-3, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, September 2007
Individual handouts and script
Description of exams and course work
The written examination is with closed book policy and no calculators are allowed.
It consists of questions that cover the knowledge of the course contents, hand calculations and drawings that cover the ability to solve and explain problems arising from the course content and related background questions.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Memory Technology for Data Storage|
|Mon, 2022-08-01, 8:00 till 9:00||N1179
||Import||till 2022-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2022-07-25)|