Advanced Microfluidics (Advanced Microfluidics - Lectures and Exercises)
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
EI71082 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Bio-Sensors in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
• Introduction to microfluidics
• Important concepts in microfluidics
• Active and passive microfluidics
• Hybrid microfluidic systems
• Droplet microfluidics
• Digital microfluidics
• Paper microfluidics
• Centrifugal microfluidics
• Microfluidic manufacturing
• Applications of microfluidics
1. compare various active and passive microfluidic techniques by highlighting their differences
2. describe the major principles of internal and external forces employed in microfluidic platforms
3. analyze various microfluidic fabrication techniques for microparticle manufacturing
4. design and simulate basic microfluidics systems by applying the knowledge acquired during the course
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Responsible/Coordination: Destgeer, G.
Learning and Teaching Methods
 H. Bruus, Theoretical Microfluidics (Oxford Master Series in Physics, 2007).
 B. J. Kirby, Micro- and Nanoscale Fluid Mechanics, 1st ed. (Cambridge University Press, New York, 2013).
Description of exams and course work
In the written exam, the students demonstrate their knowledge of microfluidics and associated physical phenomenon by answering questions with limited supporting material. They will also show their ability to transfer the conveyed concepts through their project presentation.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|till 2022-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2022-01-28)|