Advanced Microfluidics (Advanced Microfluidics - Lectures and Exercises)
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2022 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2022||SS 2021|
EI71082 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Bio-Sensors in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
• Introduction to microfluidics
• Important concepts in microfluidics
• Active and passive microfluidics
• Hybrid microfluidic systems
• Droplet microfluidics
• Digital microfluidics
• Paper microfluidics
• Centrifugal microfluidics
• Microfluidic manufacturing
• Applications of microfluidics
1. compare various active and passive microfluidic techniques by highlighting their differences
2. describe the major principles of internal and external forces employed in microfluidic platforms
3. analyze various microfluidic fabrication techniques for microparticle manufacturing
4. design basic microfluidics systems by applying the knowledge acquired during the course
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VI||4||Advanced Microfluidics||Destgeer, G. Sahin, M. Werner, H.||
Learning and Teaching Methods
 H. Bruus, Theoretical Microfluidics (Oxford Master Series in Physics, 2007).
 B. J. Kirby, Micro- and Nanoscale Fluid Mechanics, 1st ed. (Cambridge University Press, New York, 2013).
Description of exams and course work
Exam duration: 90min
In the written exam, the students demonstrate their knowledge of microfluidics and associated physical phenomenon by answering short questions.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester. There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-01-27)|