Design of Safe Medical Devices and Boards (Design of Safe Medical Devices and Boards)
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2019
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2022/3||SS 2019|
EI71045 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Bio-Sensors in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
• basic standards of functional safety
• basic safety and essential performance of medical electrical equipment
• identification of safety relevant hardware failures and embedded software failures
• identification of safety relevant embedded software failures
• error control techniques for medical devices
• limitations of non-ideal electronic components (passive and active components, programmable components)
• use of non-ideal electronic components in medical devices
• basics of PCB board design
• understand the basic standards of functional safety and the generals requirements for basic safety and essential performance of medical electrical equipment
• identify and analyze systematic and random errors in medical electronics
• develop error control and protection techniques
• understand and explain limitations of non-ideal electronic components in circuit design
• develop safe medical electronic circuits
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VI||3||Design of Safe Medical Devices and Boards||
Assistants: Knürr, J.Voss, A.
Wed, 11:15–13:30, MSB E.126
Learning and Teaching Methods
Optional seminar topics are offered to consolidate the knowledge in special sub area of the lecture. The seminar topics will be prepared by the students during their self-study hours and will be presented during the exercises.
• Interactive discussions with blackboard
• Interactive exercises
• Interactive seminar topics
• Horowitz & Hill: The Art of Electronics, ISBN 0-521-37095-7
• Williams: The Circuit Designer's Companion, ISBN 0-7506-6370-7
Description of exams and course work
- What are typical safety precautions for patient and operator protection?
- What are typical error control techniques in hardware and software design?
- Describe the limitations of non-ideal electronic components.
During the semester, seminar topics are offered optionally. These seminar topics can be used to improve the final exam mark. The seminar part contains the preparation of the topic, the presentation during the exercise and a discussion within the group.
The final mark of the module is made up of:
- 100% the final exam
A successfull seminar part will give a bonus of 0.3 to the final mark of the oral exam.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Design of Safe Medical Devices and Boards|