MedTech Culture (Industrial MedTech - Modular Trainings)
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
EI71033 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Imaging in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
The moduls will train students in project manangement, patent issues, contract and legal issues, ethical issues, business economics, reimbursement in the health sector, health politics, industrial designing, quality issues, product admission and regulatory issues, health politics, entrepreneurship.
These topics will be illustrated with examples from MedTec. Specific Med Tech engineering issues will also be treated in the context of recent industrial development projects such as imaging, microelectronic body implants, digital designs, in-vivo and in-vitro sensing technologies, processing and handling of personal, health-related data.
A particular emphasis will be on the training of soft skills such as presentation techniques, virtual working style, teamwork organisation.
• identify and apply methods and tools of industrial development and project management relevant for MedTech such as patent affairs, design, quality control, product admission, marketing, economics, entrepreneurship,
• characterise central and MedTech-specific engineering tools such as imaging, active body implants, in-vivo and in-vitro sensing technologies, processing and handling of health-related data,
• analyse important categories specifically important for the evaluation of MedTech products, such as from in vivo and in vitro diagnostics, intervention and therapy, clinical trials,
• apply soft skills such as presentations, virtual working style and project teamwork.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||3||MedTech Culture||Barnkob, R. Brischwein, M. Hayden, O.||
|UE||1||MedTech Culture||Hayden, O. Reisbeck, M.||
singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
The contents of the lecture will be communicated by expert talks. For selected topics this will be supplemented by practical demonstrations and video material. Students should be encouraged to deal with the topics of the field as reflected by current scientific literature: In the exercises, aside from the individual solution of tasks concrete project ideas, case studies or scientific publications will be analysed and presented in individual or group work.
Description of exams and course work
The oral part of the assessment is realised by rated presentations prepared in teamwork about selected topics. Here the students demonstrate – aside from the acquired professional competences – the application of soft skills such as presentation, virtual working style and team cooperation.
The final grading is composed of the following elements:
80% written exam / 20% presentation
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|till 2021-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2021-01-28)|