Non-destructive Testing in Engineering
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2018/9 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2018/9||SS 2018||WS 2012/3||SS 2012|
BV640006 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level and Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Individual topics are:
1. Introduction: background, history, motivation for inspection tasks in mechanical engineering, testing concepts (signals, systems, filters, time series)
2. Fundamentals of vibrations and waves, wave propagation
3. Instrumentation, sensors, signal recording and analysis
5. Eddy current
6. Infrared thermography for damage analysis
7. Radiographic methods
8. Testing of fiber reinforced composites and inspection of rotor blades of wind turbines
9. Vibration analysis for continuous monitoring
10. Acoustic emission analysis
11. Continuous monitoring of plant and facilities: Introduction and concepts (visual inspection, fiber optics, wireless monitoring procedures)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||3||Non-destructive Testing in Mechanical Engineering||Große, C.||
singular or moved dates
|UE||1||Excercises for Non-destructive Testing||
Responsible/Coordination: Große, C.
singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
- Interactive lecture with media support
- Interaction between lecturers and students
- Students will be given the opportunity to apply their acquired knowledge in practical experiments
- self-study of technical terms and basics
- independent solving of problems / exercises about the content of the lecture; analysis and discussion of results and answers
- supplementation of the subject matter by reading the recommended literature
- description of phenomena by formulas are derived in the lecture, the results will be discussed and analyzed
- practical application of the subject matter by example measurements during the laboratory tutorial. The students are asked to perform and partly evaluate these measurements on their own
Schiebold, K.: Zerstörungsfreie Werkstoffprüfung. Springer-Verlag, 2015 (verschiedene Titel: Ultraschallprüfung, Durchstrahlungsprüfung, Sichtprüfung, Eindringprüfung, Magnetpulverprüfung, etc.)
Description of exams and course work
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.