de | en

Der Inhalt dieser Seite ist leider nur auf Englisch verfügbar.

Incoming Austauschstudierende

All about studying at the TUM and living in Munich for international exchange students. This goes from the selection of courses, learning German and the administrative as well as practical support from other TUM students to housing search, excursions and cultural program.

International exchange students International exchange students at the welcome event. International students coming to TUM from a partner university via one of our exchange programs or bilateral agreements are called exchange students. These students benefit from a simplified application and enrollment procedure, and they can in general attend lectures from all faculties. The Physics Department has a number of partner universities through Erasmus in Europe and through TUMexchange all around the world.

Conditions and regulations

  • You have to study at one of our partner universities and apply there for an exchange program. The partner university selects students for the exchange program and nominates them for a stay at TUM via the web-based platform “moveonnet” (= eNomination). After an acknowledgement-email from TUM, the International Office of your home university sends the application documents to TUM. Deadlines are May 15 for the winter semester or the whole academic year, and October 31 for the summer semester. More details can be found on the website of TUM's International Center.
  • Please consider that our Bachelor courses are taught in German and that most of our Master courses are taught in English. Depending on your selected courses, you have to provide proof of proficiecy in the respective languages with your application. We require a German and/or English certificate of at least CEFR level B1 at the time of the application. CERF refers to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • The maximal length of your studies at TUM is three semesters.
  • To enrol succesfully at TUM, you have to pay the semester fee (student union plus basic semester ticket) and show proof of your health insurance to our Welcome Office. Deadlines are August 15 for the winter semester and February 15 for the summer semester.
    Only students that have submitted all their documents on time are able to register for language courses (places fill up very quickly!) and obtain their student card early enough to gain access to all student services: basic transportation, cafeteria, library, internet, sports, etc.
  • To be enrolled in our Physics Department, you have to take at least 60% of your courses in physics. Thereof, consider well your choice of courses before applying.

Selection of courses and registration of research projects

TUM course catalog is TUMonline. Following the path Fakultäten/Departments >> Physik/Physics >> Lehrveranstaltungen/Courses, you will find the courses taught in our department in the current and past semesters (check options on the upper-right corner). You can find more information about TUMonline here.

You can also look up the physics courses specific to our study programs:

or in general in the courses catalog. Please be aware that the general courses catalog contents current as well as past courses, which might not be offered any longer.

Exams always take place at the end of the semester, normally during the three weeks following the lecture period. If you have any time constrains, please discuss this directly with the lecturers within the first weeks. Registration for the exams is compulsory and missing the registration period means that you will not be able to write the exams!

Students finishing their degree at their home university can arrange directly with our groups to do a research project like a Bachelor's or Master's thesis during their stay. After finding a supervisor and a research topic in one of our reseach groups, you have to register your thesis. For running research projects, you can find more information on the status page.

Academic transcript of records

A transcript is an official document containing the courses you have visited during your stay at the TUM, including the respective amount of ECTS credits and the grade you have obtained.

Transcripts can be easily printed out from your TUMonline account. Log in and select "transcripts" in the "studies" column on your visit card. Select the option "print certificate" to generate an official academic transcript of records.

If your home university requires a signed copy, please contact personally the departmental exchange coordinator during her consultation hour, in order to have your transcript and confirmation of stay signed before leaving. If all your grades have not been published by the time you leave Munich, it is your responsibility to check in TUMonline when your grades are validated and send her an email requesting the document, including your name and postal address to which the transcript should be sent to.

Please do consider: transcripts are sent to your home university only on request, we do not automatically send them!!!

Register for exams!

You will only obtain a complete academic transcript of records at the end of your stay at the TUM, if you register for all the exams on time. Registering outside the registration period is not possible.

German language courses

The TUM Language Center offers during the semester German language courses. International exchange students are welcome to join, but do register well in advance in order to secure a place. The courses are free of charge, but they fill up very quickly!!!

Insider tip...

Check also their intensive language courses taking place during the semester breaks!

Working in Munich

If you would like to take a student job to support yourself during your studies or experience the job market through an internship, there are several possibilities on Campus Garching and in Munich.

In terms of research, you could take a student job e.g. either in a group of the Physics Department or at one of the Max Planck Institutes. Please have a look at the TUM black board or contact directly the professors in each institution.

For advice on an internship in the industry sector, please do refer to the carefully selected information and contacts from the TUM Career Service.

How much are you allowed to work?

International students who do not come from the EU or European Economic Area are in general only allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days in a year. International students who do not come from the EU cannot go self employed or work freelance!

Student initiatives and associations

Are you looking for hands-on experience that can help you in your future career? Do you want to give something back? Our students are highly involved in the student union (Fachschaft) and as student representatives on the faculty council and appointment commissions. They also contribute to the design of teaching and course contents. In addition, many extracurricular initiatives are run entirely by students or rely on their engagement and energy.

Living in Munich

To find appropriate accommodation in Munich can be very difficult, especially in October when the semester begins and short-time accommodation is booked out due to the Oktoberfest. Exchange students from outside Europe can be offered a room by our International Center, whereas European students have to find something on their own. However, the International Center offers helpful tips and links to find accommodation (see their accommodation site for exchange students). The TUM Housing Search Assistance has published a booklet Finding a new home in Munich (PDF, 1,2 MB) containing the most important information you need to have when looking for a place to live in Munich.

The Student Union Munich also offers information and advice on accommodation, finances and cultural life, including psychotherapeutic and psychosocial counselling as well as a protection service against sexual abuse and discrimination.

TUMinternational (TUMi) offers orientation weeks before the beginning of academic activities and regular meetings throughout the year. They also support you in administrative affairs (residence permit, enrollment, public transport, etc.) and offer you a cultural program to get to know Munich and its surrondings. Remember to register well in advance for the activities to ensure you a place!

Nach oben